Povidone Iodine Mouth Wash, Rinse, Gargle for C0\/lD Prevention by Jeffrey Dach MD (above header image courtesy of wikimedia)
In this interview with Peter Breggin MD, author of Talking Back to Prozac, Dr. Peter McCullough discusses the routine use of dilute (1%) Povidone Iodine mouth wash in the dental office as an excellent preventive measure for Covid-19. 10% Povidone Iodine is available OTC (Over the Counter) without a prescription at any drug store for a few dollars. Here is the link: Povidone 10% Iodine on Amazon
Note: This 10% Povidone Iodine must be diluted by one tenth, to 1% strength before use as a mouth wash, otherwise it is too strong and irritating. Dilute by adding 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of the 10% Povidone Iodine into a full glass of water (250-300 ml). This will make the product dilute enough to use as a mouth rinse, or gargle, (approximately 1.0 to 1.2 %)
2 tbsp = 29.57 ml. (30ml) povidone iodine
one glass water = 250-300 ml
Dr. McCullough recommends routine use of this mouthwash on a daily basis, and especially after contact with large indoor groups.
See this Sept 14, 2021 Dr Peter Breggin Interview with Dr Peter McCullough on Brighteon discussing Covid, vaccines, early treatment, prevention with Povidone Iodine mouth wash etc:
In this more recent interview, December 4th with Rebel News, Peter McCullough MD discusses what is known about the Omicron variant, and the use of Povidone Iodine Mouthwash, Nasal Wash and gargle for prevention of Covid-19. Dr. McCullough cites the Choudhury study in which 600 Covid infected patients were randomized to 1% povidone iodine, or saline placebo mouthwash and gargle. Patients were followed with PCR testing for viral load. Dr. Choudhury writes:
The group of patients used 1% PVP-I [One per cent Povidione Iodine Solution] have shown tremendously reduced mortality, morbidity and hospital as well as financial burden in this covid situation.(1) (emphasis mine)
A study by Avinash Bidra found complete inactivation of the virus after 15 seconds of gargling with a 1% Povidone Iodine Solution. According to the authors, Povidone Iodine (1%) solution is “rapidly virucidal” at all dilutions tested.(11)
Above photo courtesy of Peter McCullough MD
Dilute Hydrogen Peroxide Gargle
If Povidone Iodine is unavailable or can not be tolerated, then Dr. McCullough advises using dilute hydrogen peroxide solution for a mouth and throat gargle and nasal wash. Dr McCullough considers this highly effective for any type of upper respiratory virus invading the naso-pharynx. Oxidative therapies such as dilute povidone iodine or hydrogen peroxide solution gargle are in common use.
Nebulized Hydrogen Peroxide
Another commonly used Early Treatment protocols for upper respiratory viral syndromes (including Covid-19) is the use of dilute hydrogen peroxide inhaled through a nebulizer, the subject of a book by Thomas Levy MD, and reported by David Brownstein MD in his publication on a series of 107 patients treated for Covid with this technique. Supplies can be obtained OTC without a doctor’s prescription.(13-19)
This technique is so effective, Dr Brownstein was singled out by the FTC for harassment with a FTC warning letter, forcing him to shut down his blog and web site which discussed the treatment. Whenever the government uses its massive power to shut down a safe and inexpensive treatment for CoVID, you can be sure you are “over the target”.
In spite of this kind of opposition, the courageous Doctor Brownstein published his study in the peer reviewed medical literature which can be seen here: Brownstein David treating COVID nutritional oxidative ther Sci Public Health Policy Law 2020 Here is a quote from Dr. Brownstein’s study which successfully used nebulized hydrogen peroxide in 107 patients with recovery in all cases and no deaths:
A novel treatment program combining nutritional and oxidative therapies was shown to successfully treat the signs and symptoms of 100% of 107 patients diagnosed with COVID-19. Each patient was treated with an individualized plan consisting of a combination of oral, IV, IM, and nebulized nutritional and oxidative therapies which resulted in zero deaths and recovery from COVID-19. end quote (15)
Upper Left image desk top JET nebulizer courtesy of Amazon.
Nebulizers are widely available OTC at most drug stores or on Amazon.
Read the free e-book by Dr Thomas Levy (13), or read Dr Joseph Mercola’s article for the details of how to dilute the 3% hydrogen peroxide solution with saline (not distilled water) to a 0.4% or 1% solution, and how to use the nebulizer. (16-19)
Another useful resource: Steven Yager Protocol for Nebulized Hydrogen Peroxide : Nebulizer-Protocol-Steven-Yager-YagerBomb-Brownstein-Blog-2021-11-03
Another useful resource: Dr Mercola Explains Nebulized Hydrogen Peroxide To Treat Covid-19
By WaySide on November 17, 2021
(Below video) Dr. David Brownstein Interviewed Dr David Brownstein on his book, Holistic Approach to Viruses, and the use of nebulized hydrogen peroxide. Dr Brownstein has found that the Desk-top plug-in JET nebulizer gives the best results. He advises avoiding the hand held battery powered nebulizers.
Jeffrey Dach MD
7450 Griffin Road Suite 180/190
Davie, Fl 33314
Articles with Related Interest:
Unity Project Online: Working together to STOP COVID-19 Vaccine Mandates for Healthy Children K-12
Jeffrey Dach MD
7450 Griffin Road, Suite 180/190
Davie, Florida 33314
References and Links
1) Choudhury, Md Iqbal Mahmud, Nilufar Shabnam, and Md Tazin Ahsan. “Effect of 1% povidone iodine mouthwash/gargle, nasal and eye drop in COVID-19 patient.” Bioresearch Communications-(BRC) 7.1 (2021): 919-923.
Background: The sudden onset of COVID-19 began in late 2019 caused by a novel coronavirus (SARS-COV2) and on 11th March, WHO declared it to have developed pandemic status. There is still no specific treatment and vaccine available for COVID-19; causing wide spread health problem and concern of the globe. Povidone iodine (PVP-I) is an antiseptic that has been used for over 150 years. It is already proved that different concentration of PVP-I can deactivate COVID-19 virus. Methodology: In this randomized controlled clinical trial, out of 1113 patients 606 patients were enrolled and divided in 2 groups by randomization after taken consents. In Gr-A, 303 patients underwent mouthwash/gargle, nasal drops and eye drops with 1% povidone iodine 4 hourly for 4 weeks as well as symptomatic treatment according to need. In Gr-B 303 patients were advised mouthwash/gargle, nasal cavity and eye wash with lukewarm water 4 hourly for 4 weeks and symptomatic treatment according to need. RT-PCR test done every 3rd, 5th and 7th day and Thyroid hormone level (TSH,T3, T4, FT4) at 4th week for follow up. Results: The group of patients used 1% PVP-I have shown tremendously reduced mortality, morbidity and hospital as well as financial burden in this covid situation. Conclusion: Administration of 1% PVP-I as mouthwash/gargle, nasal or eye drop is simple, rapid and cost effective in reduction of mortality and morbidity by COVID-19.
2) Chaudhary, Prem Prashant, et al. “Estimating salivary carriage of SARS-CoV2 in non-symptomatic individuals and efficacy of mouthwash in reducing viral load: a randomized controlled trial.” The Journal of the American Dental Association (2021).
3) Goldstein, Leo. “Oronasal Hygiene with PVP-I for COVID19.” (2021).
4) Arefin, Mostafa Kamal, et al. “Virucidal effect of povidone iodine on COVID-19 in the nasopharynx: an open-label randomized clinical trial.” Indian Journal of Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery (2021): 1-5.
5) Maurya, Raj Kumar, et al. “Povidone-iodine preprocedural rinse—An evidence-based, second-line defense against severe acute respiratory coronavirus virus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in dental healthcare.” Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology (2021): 1-2.
6) Mohebbi, Simin Z., Tayebe Ebrahimi, and Ahmad Reza Shamshiri. “Do Mouthwashes Reduce Covid-19 Viral Load during Dental Procedures and Oropharyngeal Examinations? A Systematic Review.” (2021).
7) Ebrahimi, Tayebe, Ahmadreza SHamshiri, and Simin Z. Mohebbi. “Do mouthwashes reduce covid-19 viral load during dental procedure and oropharynge-al examination? A systematic review.” (2021).
8) Tadakamadla, Jyothi, et al. “In vitro studies evaluating the efficacy of mouth rinses on Sars-Cov-2: a systematic review.” Journal of Infection and Public Health (2021).
9) Moreno, María Victoria Mateos, et al. “Oral Antiseptics Against Coronavirus: In Vitro and Clinical Evidence.” Journal of Hospital Infection (2021).
10) Hassandarvish, Pouya, et al. “In vitro virucidal activity of povidone iodine gargle and mouthwash against SARS-CoV-2: implications for dental practice.” British dental journal (2020): 1-4.
Introduction Virus particles in respiratory droplets and aerosols generated during medical/dental procedures are a potential source of SARS-CoV-2 cross infection. In the dental setting, oral decontamination could be an important adjunct to personal protective equipment and is recommended by a number of national COVID-19 guidance documents for dental settings.
Aim To assess the in vitrovirucidal activity of an oral povidone iodine (PVP-I) product against SARS-CoV-2.
Material and methods BETADINE gargle and mouthwash (1% PVP-I) was tested against SARS-CoV-2 virus under both clean and dirty conditions using a suspension assay based on EN14476 methodology. Virucidal activity of the product, undiluted and at 1:2 dilution, was tested at contact times of 15, 30 and 60 seconds. Viral titres were calculated using the Spearman-Kärber method and reported as median tissue culture infectious dose (TCID50/ml).
Results The undiluted product achieved >5 log10 reduction in viral titres compared to the control at 15, 30 and 60 seconds under both clean and dirty conditions. At a twofold dilution (0.5% PVP-I), the test product demonstrated >4 log10 kill at 15 seconds and >5 log10 kill at 30 and 60 seconds in both clean and dirty conditions.
Conclusion PVP-I gargle and mouthwash product, undiluted and at 1:2 dilution, demonstrated potent and rapid virucidal activity (≥4 log10 reduction of viral titre) in 15 seconds against SARS-CoV-2 in vitro. The PVP-I gargle and mouthwash product is widely available and could be readily integrated into infection control measures during dental treatment including pre-procedural oral decontamination.
11) Bidra, Avinash S., et al. “Rapid in‐vitro inactivation of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS‐CoV‐2) using povidone‐iodine oral antiseptic rinse.” Journal of Prosthodontics 29.6 (2020): 529-533.
To investigate the optimal contact time and concentration for viricidal activity of oral preparation of povidone‐iodine (PVP‐I) against SARS‐CoV‐2 (‘corona virus’) to mitigate the risk and transmission of the virus in the dental practice.
Materials and Methods
The severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS‐CoV‐2) USA‐WA1/2020 strain, virus stock was tested against oral antiseptic solutions consisting of aqueous povidone‐iodine (PVP‐I) as the sole active ingredient. The PVP‐I was tested at diluted concentrations of 0.5%, 1%, and 1.5%. Test media without any virus was added to 2 tubes of the compounds to serve as toxicity and neutralization controls. Ethanol (70%) was tested in parallel as a positive control, and water only as a negative control. The test solutions and virus were incubated at room temperature (22 ± 2 °C) for time periods of 15 and 30 seconds. The solution was then neutralized by a 1/10 dilution in minimum essential medium (MEM) 2% fetal bovine serum (FBS), 50 µg/mL gentamicin. Surviving virus from each sample was quantified by standard end‐point dilution assay and the log reduction value (LRV) of each compound compared to the negative (water) control was calculated.
PVP‐I oral antiseptics at all tested concentrations of 0.5%, 1%, and 1.5%, completely inactivated SARS‐CoV‐2 within 15 seconds of contact. The 70% ethanol control group was unable to completely inactivate SARS‐CoV‐2 after 15 seconds of contact, but was able to inactivate the virus at 30 seconds of contact.
PVP‐I oral antiseptic preparations rapidly inactivated SARS‐CoV‐2 virus in vitro. The viricidal activity was present at the lowest concentration of 0.5 % PVP‐I and at the lowest contact time of 15 seconds. This important finding can justify the use of preprocedural oral rinsing with PVP‐I (for patients and health care providers) may be useful as an adjunct to personal protective equipment, for dental and surgical specialties during the COVID‐19 pandemic.
12) Frank, Samantha, et al. “Povidone-iodine use in sinonasal and oral cavities: a review of safety in the COVID-19 era.” Ear, Nose & Throat Journal 99.9 (2020): 586-593.
Objectives: Approaches to nasal and oral decontamination with povidone-iodine (PVP-I) have been published to reduce nosocomial spread of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The safety of PVP-I topically applied to the nasal and oral cavity is addressed by a literature review. The specific efficacy of PVP-I against coronaviruses and its potential efficacy against SARS-CoV-2 is discussed.
Methods: A review was performed utilizing PubMed and Cochrane Databases. All citations in protocols for nasal and oral PVP-I use regarding COVID-19 were independently reviewed.
Results: Povidone-iodine has been safely administered for up to 5 months in the nasal cavity and 6 months in the oral cavity. Concentrations less than 2.5% in vitro do not reduce ciliary beat frequency or cause pathological changes in ciliated nasal epithelium, upper respiratory, or mucosal cells. Adverse events with oral use have not been reported in conscious adults or children. Allergy and contact sensitivity is rare. Chronic mucosal use up to 5% has not been shown to result in clinical thyroid disease. PVP-I is rapidly virucidal and inactivates coronaviruses, including SARS-CoV and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS).
Conclusions: Povidone-iodine can safely be used in the nose at concentrations up to 1.25% and in the mouth at concentrations up to 2.5% for up to 5 months. Povidone-iodine rapidly inactivates coronaviruses, including SARS and MERS, when applied for as little as 15 seconds. There is optimism that PVP-I can inactivate SARS-CoV-2, but in vitro efficacy has not yet been demonstrated.
13) GET RAPID VIRUS RECOVERY: NO NEED TO LIVE IN FEAR EBOOK FOR FREE, Download Thomas E. Levy MD LD book for free!
In a May 10, 2021, Orthomolecular Medicine press release,33 Dr. Thomas E. Levy — board-certified in internal medicine and cardiology — discussed the use of this treatment for COVID-19 specifically. Levy has in fact written an entire book on hydrogen peroxide nebulization called “Rapid Virus Recovery,” which you can download for free from MedFox Publishing.
14) Orthomolecular Medicine News Service, May 10, 2021
Hydrogen Peroxide Nebulization and COVID Resolution
Impressive Anecdotal Results . Commentary by Thomas E. Levy, MD, JD
15) Brownstein, David, et al. “A novel approach to treating COVID-19 using nutritional and oxidative therapies.” Sci Public Health Policy Law 2 (2020): 4-22. Brownstein David treating COVID nutritional oxidative ther Sci Public Health Policy Law 2020
16) Dr. Mercola: Nebulized Peroxide, the Single Most Effective Early Strategy Post Modified: Dec 8, 2021 · Published: Nov 25, 2021 By Jacqueline 26 Comments
17) Nebulized Hydrogen Peroxide — A Simple Remedy for COVID-19
March 5, 2021 Dr. Joseph Mercola
18) Dr. Brownstein’s Blog on How to Nebulize
Posted by DHutton | Mar 30, 2020 | Dr. Brownstein | 0 |
19) Nebulized Peroxide — A Simple Remedy for COVID-19
February 21, 2021 Nia Pure Nature
20) Cervantes-Trejo, Arturo, and Isaac D. CastaĂ±eda. “Hydrogen Peroxide as an Adjuvant Therapy for COVID-19: A Case Series from Mexico.” Oxidants and Antioxidants in Medical Science 10.8 (2021).
21) Cervantes Trejo, Arturo, et al. “Hydrogen peroxide as an adjuvant therapy for COVID-19: A case series of patients and caregivers in the Mexico city metropolitan area.” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2021 (2021).
22) Di Domênico, Marielle Bazzo, et al. “Effectiveness of hydrogen peroxide as auxiliary treatment for hospitalized COVID-19 patients in Brazil: preliminary results of a randomized double-blind clinical trial.” Epidemiology and Health 43 (2021).
(n= 20; gargling with 1.0% H2O2 and nasal wash with 0.5% H2O2) or a control group (n= 20).
H2O2 as a mouthwash and nasal spray is safe to use. There is insufficient evidence to demonstrate that H2O2 is effective as an auxiliary treatment for hospitalized COVID-19 patients.
23) Cavalcante-Leão, Bianca L., et al. “Is there scientific evidence of the mouthwashes effectiveness in reducing viral load in Covid-19? A systematic review.” Journal of Clinical and Experimental Dentistry 13.2 (2021): e179.
Both studies were performed in vitro and tested the virucidal action of the PVP-I solution for mouthwash at two different concentrations, 1% without dilution and 7% with 1:30 dilution, on the SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV viruses. Both showed a viral reduction of ≥ 99.99% with 15 s exposure.
24) Bidra, Avinash S., et al. “Comparison of in vitro inactivation of SARS CoV‐2 with hydrogen peroxide and povidone‐iodine oral antiseptic rinses.” Journal of Prosthodontics 29.7 (2020): 599-603.
25) Capetti, Amedeo F., et al. “Short‐term inhibition of SARS‐CoV‐2 by hydrogen peroxide in persistent nasopharyngeal carriers.” Journal of Medical Virology 93.3 (2021): 1766-1769.
27) Caruso, Arturo A., et al. “Might hydrogen peroxide reduce the hospitalization rate and complications of SARS-CoV-2 infection?.” Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology 41.11 (2020): 1360-1361.
28) Moreno, María Victoria Mateos, et al. “ORAL ANTISEPTICS AGAINST CORONAVIRUS: IN VITRO AND CLINICAL EVIDENCE.” Journal of Hospital Infection (2021).
29) Arsenault, Peter, MBA Amit Sachdeo, and MS Alexis Kaihlanen. “Virucidal activity of oral rinses against SARS-CoV-2.”
Jeffrey Dach MD
7450 Griffin Road, Suite 190
Davie, Fl 33314
Heart Book by Jeffrey Dach
Click Here for: Dr Dach’s Online Store for Pure Encapsulations Supplements
Click Here for: Dr Dach’s Online Store for Nature’s Sunshine Supplements
Web Site and Discussion Board Links:
The reader is advised to discuss the comments on these pages with his/her personal physicians and to only act upon the advice of his/her personal physician. Also note that concerning an answer which appears as an electronically posted question, I am NOT creating a physician — patient relationship. Although identities will remain confidential as much as possible, as I can not control the media, I can not take responsibility for any breaches of confidentiality that may occur.
Copyright (c) 2021 Jeffrey Dach MD All Rights Reserved. This article may be reproduced on the internet without permission, provided there is a link to this page and proper credit is given. See Repost Guidelines.
FAIR USE NOTICE: This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of issues of significance. We believe this constitutes a ‘fair use’ of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.
Serving Areas of: Hollywood, Aventura, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Pembroke Pines, Miramar, Davie, Coral Springs, Cooper City, Sunshine Ranches, Hallandale, Surfside, Miami Beach, Sunny Isles, Normandy Isles, Coral Gables, Hialeah, Golden Beach ,Kendall,sunrise, coral springs, parkland,pompano, boca raton, palm beach, weston, dania beach, tamarac, oakland park, boynton beach, delray,lake worth,wellington,plantation