During the polio epidemic of 1946, there was mass hysteria, and the media spread the misguided notion that spraying DDT prevented polio.
DDT Kills Mosquitoes, But Not Polio
DDT May Actually Cause Polio-Like Syndrome
Morton S. Biskind MD published a series of articles in the medical literature describing DDT toxicity causing a syndrome identical to polio.(1-3)
Image courtesy of Universal News Collection
Newsreel from 1946 documenting the misguided spraying of DDT in San Antonio, Texas ordered by Heath Dept. director Mr.Crittenden, in an ill-fated attempt to wipe out polio. Rockford, Illinois, and Paterson, New Jersey also joined in.
DDT was banned in 1972. The Silent Spring Institute continues the work of Rachel Carson, and has focused on chemicals in the environment which are neurotoxins and cause breast cancer.
Articles with Related Interest:
2) The American Journal of Digestive Diseases November 1953, Volume 20, Issue 11, pp 331-341 Public health aspects of the new insecticides Morton S. Biskind
3) The American Journal of Digestive Diseases
March 1949, Volume 16, Issue 3, pp 79-84
DDT poisoning and the elusive “virus X:” A new cause for gastro-enteritis. Morton S. Biskind M.D.
Dissolving Illusions: Disease, Vaccines, and The Forgotten History Paperback – July 27, 2013 by Suzanne Humphries MD (Author), Roman Bystrianyk (Author)
5) Virus or poisoned drinking water? Írta: Andrea Lepold – 2011. december 30.
An Examination of the Tajik Poliomyelitis “Epidemic” (The Complete Study)
6) CDC Sprinting Towards the Polio Finish Line Suzanne Humphries
CDC and Friends Sprinting Towards the Polio “Finish Line,” by Suzanne Humphries, MD
7) The Poison Cause of Poliomyelitis And Obstructions To Its Investigation by Ralph R. Scobey, M.D. Syracuse, N.Y.
8) Pesticides and Polio: A Critique of Scientific Literature
Posted on February 8, 2003 by Jim West
9) Buy on Amazon DDT/Polio: Virology vs Toxicologyby Jim West
10) The Poison Cause of Poliomyelitis And Obstructions To Its Investigation. Statement prepared for the Select Committee to Investigate the Use of Chemicals in Food Products, United States House of Representatives, Washington, D.C. Archives of Pediatrics, April 1952, Ralph R. Scobey, M.D. Syracuse, N.Y.
11) DDT and the Rise and Fall of Polio by Marco Cáceres July 22, 2015
12) Some Thoughts on the Vaccination Debate – by Nicholas Gonzalez, MD